Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spring Training in Tampa

Baseball is a tremendous sport. Combined with the grind of 162 games and the excitement and intensity it provides to fans, it is a sport like no other. It is a tool that unites individuals from a variety of locations and cultural backgrounds. It also provides many with an escape from the reality and turmoils of life that often times come our way.

For me, the first experience I had with the game of baseball came in 1996 when I was around 9 years old. I was in Orlando for vacation and my mom took my brother and I to Tampa for a day to see the Yankees in Spring Training. I was young and didn't know much about the team or players, but I played softball so there was some excitement in seeing a real Major League baseball team up close and in person.

Back then, Spring Training in Tampa was fan-friendly and you had easy access in getting close to the players. The fences were at a decent level in which you could see over them without being obstructed. My mom still remembers how excited I was from this trip and how had begged her to take me back there the following day (she never did since our plane was leaving the next day).

It wasn't until I was a senior in high school that we made the trip back to Tampa. I was the only one in my family who enjoyed baseball, so it was struggle convincing my mom and brother to agree on taking the trip down south. I begged and pleaded and we eventually made the trip during my break from school. It is a tradition I have continued every year since that trip and is something I look forward to once baseball season is over.

Autographs
Collecting autographs was something I didn't have much interest in doing when I first started going to baseball games. It was really the thrill of being at the ballpark and seeing my favorite players live and in person that was the highlight of making the trip. My first autograph was a ball that was signed by Jorge Posada. It was exciting but it wasnt something that I found myself seeking to do every time I was at a game.

Over time, the thrill of collecting autographs developed into a passion. Initially it was easy to come across. You would wait by the field after practice and the players would come by and sign for you. You had balls filled with autographs; sometimes in which you would come home and be unable to even figure out the player that had signed the ball. The players made kids and adults happy just by taking a minute or two to stop and sign their name on a ball.

As the years went by, it did become harder and more of a challenge to get autographs. With persistence and going to the field early, you were able to come away with something. Over the years I have a collection of an array of players; each having a different story of how I came across the autograph. The most impressive from last year was getting Derek Jeter's autograph. Anyone around spring training knows how difficult it can be to get him to sign. But players like Rivera, Swisher, Damon, and a variety of others have always been easy to come across.

It's difficult at times for the players because they do have a job to do. Last year, Mariano Rivera was around the side field, waiting around the fence before practice began. Many of us asked him to sign autographs; a plea the led to his response of "do you want me to work or sign". In the end he ended up coming over to sign, taking five minutes out of his time. Kids were excited, adults were excited. That's the point of spring training for the fans, isn't it?

You have to keep in mind that signing autographs is tricky for players. You might stop and sign 20 autographs. At some point you have to stop and get to work and that 21st person there is left without an autograph and is often times upset. As a fan it sucks, but you have to realize that they can only sign so many.

That is the difference between this year and the previous years. Very few players are even stopping to sign any autographs, let alone twenty. I have been here for five days and have never seen the players act like this. I talked to a few security guards and fans and they mentioned that they noticed the same thing. The one guard didn't know why- but assumed it was because there are so many people out there that show up every day wanting to sell the autographs online. It sounded like it made sense to me, though I didn't think it seemed very fair to those who are not there to sell them (and someone did point out that eventually, every autograph does get sold, look at those such a Babe Ruth's).

But then came the word that perhaps the lack of signing was coming from someone upstairs. I am not a reporter or someone who works for the Yankees. But a situation occurred in which Eric Chavez was signing autographs for fans on the side field. Tony Pena approached him, saying that he needed to stop signing or he might be fined. Chavez looked up at him, dropped the pen and left the fans. A person in the crowd mentioned in response to this observation that he heard this was coming down from Hank. Word was that he was so angry about the Yankees not making the World Series that he wanted them to focus more on playing and less on autographs. And with this situation, a guy like Chavez has more to lose than a guy who has made the team.

Now I do not know if perhaps there is a certain rule that they have for the players to follow. How would I know since I do not work for the team. But Pena said what he said and there's no denying that. As for what he meant, perhaps the players aren't allowed to sign at a certain time before practice. Who knows. But I will tell you this, regardless of if the Yankees deny it or not, there has been a huge drop off in players signing. Am I saying Jeter cares of he is fined? No, He can afford it even if it is a rule in which they are fined. He's just being himself. Heres the perfect example for you--The other morning when the Yankees were away, there were about 30 people at the field watching Jeter, A-Rod, and a handful of other players taking batting practice. After practice ended, not one player stopped to sign for anyone. Not one. Their day was over as they were not traveling with the team and they couldnt stop for any of the 30 fans.

And this is not saying that NOBODY is signing. Swisher and Granderson have been great this year. But in general, the team has been worse than usual.

I personally have all the autographs I want. Sure, I'd love Tino's, but I couldn't care less if I got his or not. The goal this year was to get some for the kids I tutor. The little girls are not into baseball much, but I remember being young and getting my first autograph. Now here I am at age 24 going to games in Tampa by myself and having a great time watching baseball. It can turn you into baseball and that is the hope I have for the kids. Dont get me wrong. The kids will survive in me not having autographs for them but it is just terrible seeing how ridiculous the Yankees have become and how little they care about their fans. They want your money and the support from the fans but they can not take five minutes to sign for a few people who came there early to support them. And if its true Hank did threaten to fine the players, he must really have no care at all for those who spend a great deal of money coming down to support this team.

At some point in time people are going to get frustrated and stop coming. For me, this trip has not been worth it. My own personal reason goes beyond the autograph issue; more in how I was forced out of a seat by a security guard during the Red Sox game. It was uncalled for and I still am in shock and don't understand the reason for why they did it. I decided that it may not be worth the money next year coming down. I would miss the great fans that I meet while down here but I wont miss the way in which the Yankees treat the fans.

30 comments:

Kyle said...

Hey welcome back!

Great post, but I am sorry to hear about the lousy treatment by the Yankees. It's really a shame to see how poorly they treat fans at times.

I know how much you look forward to this trip every year and it is horrible that the Yankees seem to take their fans for granted at times.

Hank is a clown and I think sometimes they are too business like. Spring training is usually a time to be more accessible to the fans. Yankees could risk driving some fans away in the long run if the team struggles and they continue with some of the poor practices.

Having said all that, nothing surprises me with this Front Office/Ownership. They are the same people that tried to pass off obstructed bleacher seats at full price until the radio media made it a big issue. They're the same people that wouldn't allow Paul O'Neill in the clubhouse in 2009 and once again it was not until it became a huge issue in the media that they changed things.

Unknown said...

Welcome back.

Sorry about your experience this year. I've been a Yankee fan since I was a kid in the last 50's. With the attitude of Yankee management, especially after the new stadium, we prefer to go to Yankee away games. We're going to Cleveland this year. I like that park and the people treat you well. We like Baltimore as well. Toronto is closest to where we live, but I don't like the park and the people are not real friendly.

Oh well. Glad you're back. I always enjoyed reading your posts.

Anonymous said...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unofficial-Aaron-Ciaburri-Fan-Page/271143852903208

sewa mobil jakarta said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

Sewa Mobil Medan said...

Excellent article on using this website. Thank you so much.

Rental Mobil Medan said...

Thanks for the article! I was looking right for this information

yoga said...

Very Very Good Site .I am So Happy .Thanks

Rental Mobil Medan said...

Very Very Good Site .I am So Happy .Thanks

Rental Mobil Medan said...

Excellent article on using this website. Thank you so much.

yoga said...

Thanks for the article! I was looking right for this information

شركة ضي الرحمن said...

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بسيهات وعنك


شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخبر


UplayOnline said...

They are the same people that tried to pass off obstructed bleacher seats at full price until the radio media made it a big issue.


สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง
goldenslot

Goldenslot said...

Thank you very much

........................................

Gclub slot
Golden slot
Goldclub slot

Unknown said...

شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض

DreamNT said...

Translated into a good article and very interesting.









Gclub

dokdok said...

เลเซอร์หน้าใส เป็นอีกหนึ่งของใหม่ทางความสวยสดงดงามที่ช่วยฟื้นฟูผิวหนังที่แห้งหยาบ บริเวณใบหน้าหมองคล้ำให้กลับมาผ่องใสมองกระปรี้กระเปร่า ผ่องแผ้วภายในช่วงเวลาอันเร็วทันใจ นับว่าเป็นทางลัดความสวยสดงดงามที่กำลังเป็นที่นิยมสูง ช่วยปรนนิบัติวัตถากผิวให้ขาวกระจ่างขาวสวยใส จากการลดลางเลือนริ้วรอยจุดด่างดำได้อย่างมีคุณภาพ

เลเซอร์หน้าใส
เลเซอร์ลดริ้วรอย
เลเซอร์รอยสิว

stevejordon said...

I loved all your examples, made me laugh and then ponder which type of poser I'd want to be and for some reason, I'm share some important topic which is related to the post. For more detail visit free PSN gift card codes

thanida said...

Wonderful post I really appreciate of your efforts for bringing this awesome post แทงหวยชุดลาว

harry said...

I genuinely enjoy reading on this internet site, it contains wonderful posts. “Don’t put too fine a point to your wit for fear it should get blunted.” by Miguel de Cervantes.
in the internet world some topics are most relevent and followings are that topic.
Free Robux
How to get free Robux
Get Free Robux
FREE ROBUX ROBLOX
Earn Free Robux - Redeem Instantly
Free Robux - Earn
Earn Free Robux
free robux websites
earn robux today
free robux codes
Free​ Roblox ​Robux
all are for free.

UFA888 said...

Very Helpful Article. ยูฟ่าเบท It might help you. ยูฟ่าเบท Thanks For Sharing
ยูฟ่าเบท Thank you very much.

UFA888 said...


This Is Really Useful And Nice Information. ยูฟ่าเบท
This are such great articles. ยูฟ่าเบท This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
https://soccersurfer98.hatenablog.com/entry/2020/09/02/132139?_ga=2.193217001.552343305.1598844608-1286484823.1596077192 I appreciate for reading my blogs.

UFA888 said...


This are new articles style for you. https://sbo98bet.wixsite.com/sbo98bet/post/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3-ufabet amazin555 http://foxz98bet.over-blog.com/ufabet-6 It might help you to write or think some new idea.
https://dafa98bet.weebly.com/36263617363335883619362636173634359436363585/-ufabet8326348 Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
https://w88-com.jimdofree.com/2020/09/01/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3-ufabet/ I am very glad for reading my articles.

loda lasan said...

I was very impressed by this post. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, great job! click here
visit here

Mandal stive said...

This is a very good blog. I appreciate your work. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up. I am the gamer and I would like to suggest you something interesting about Minecraft skins
Click Here

ブルレクジェク said...

very good written article. It will be a good support to anyone who utilizes it including me. Keep doing what you are doing can't wait to read more posts very nice article ブルレクジェク

바카라 said...

that is really a good tip especially to those fresh to the blogging simple but very accurate info many thanks for sharing hope to read more here is my website; 바카라

Jack said...

Great post. I was once checking constantly this weblog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful information specially the closing part. I also have something for you. you can Check here

AndreCo said...

I really appreciate your article. the post has excellent tips which are useful. this post is good in regards of both knowledge as well as information. And you can also check a software Winrar for protecting your files and data from damage.

Starkmartin095 said...

Good blog. I must apreciate your efforts. Written in positive manner and in easy to understand language. And you can check winrar a software for Creating self-extract files and Backup your files. Winrar
visit here

Rosario70 said...

Keep up the good work; I read few posts on this website, including I consider that your blog is fascinating and has sets of the fantastic piece of information. Thanks for your valuable efforts. Here I have BSL Shaders 1.14.4 for minecraft. This helps in enhancing your gaming experience and I sure that you will enjoy it well. You can Download BSL Shader from here.